- This event has passed.
Mental Health First Aid Training: Two evening class
Tuesday March 13, 2018 @ 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Two- part class!
Tuesday evenings: 3/13 & 3/20, 5-9 pm.
Mental Health First Aid is an interactive 8-hour training course that presents an overview of mental illnesses and substance use disorders in the U.S. The course introduces participants to risk factors and warning signs of mental health problems, builds understanding of their impact, and reviews common treatments.
The course offers easy to follow materials for non-clinicians to identify, understand, and provide initial help to individuals in crisis or showing symptoms of a mental illness or substance use disorder.
The course is a terrific opportunity to bring people together across the community on a topic of importance to everyone.
Mental Health First Aid can:
- Enhance community level capacity to identify mental health and substance abuse issues early on
- Increase awareness of and refer people to resources
- Increase the confidence of natural helpers to intervene
- Broaden the concepts of “workforce” and “first responders” to support the community as a whole
- Decrease any negative opinions about individuals living with a mental health or substance use concern
- Reinforce that mental health and substance abuse issues can be viewed in a health framework
The training is appropriate for a wide variety of audiences, including:
- Community health workers, tribal health workers, Promotoras/Promotores
- Employers and business leaders
- Law enforcement personnel
- Corrections officers and parole/probation officers
- EMS personnel
- School personnel and educators
- Members of faith communities and their leaders
- Medical providers (e.g., nurses, medical assistants)
- Employees of service-oriented businesses (dry cleaners, barber shops, etc)
- Anyone interested in learning more about mental illness and addiction
$70 PNA Member, $80 Public.
Registration includes $20 manual/reference guide developed and published by Mental Health First Aid USA. This is a certification course.
or call 206.783.2244
This class is also being offered as a one-day class on Monday, March 5. [Go to listing]
About the Instructor: Jan Collver currently works as a Resource Manager for the Brain Injury Alliance of Washington, and was Head Teacher for PNA’s Ballard Preschool Cooperative for many years before that. She has worked in Counseling and Vocational Education for Seattle Public Schools, taught middle school and high school, and worked with homeless youth and foster families. She graduated from Western Washington University with BaEd and has taken graduate courses at Seattle U and SPU. Jan first learned about Mental Health First Aid as a volunteer at the Crisis Clinic and completed the 40 hour Mental Health First Aid USA instructor training in 2017.