Neighbors Helping Neighbors: Kevin Kozel
By Karla Rava
The name Kevin Kozel might ring a bell and that’s because he’s a writer for the PhinneyWood blog. He covers the segment, PhinneyWood Round-Up, keeping everyone up to date on the latest happenings around the neighborhood and the recently launched PhinneyWould?
The spotlight is now turned on Kevin because he’s a volunteer writer and his contribution to the PNA and community is greatly appreciated. Kevin’s story kicks off this new monthly series called Neighbors Helping Neighbors, with the aim to thank volunteers like Kevin and get to know them better.
Here are ten fun facts about Kevin:
- Recently celebrated his 10th year of residence in Seattle after previously living in New Jersey, Maryland, Washington,DC, Los Angeles, and Tokyo.
- Previously hosted a soccer podcast for more than 8 years and interviewed such legends as Landon Donovan, Abby Wambach, and Tim Howard.
- Got married in Glasgow, Scotland in a house built in 1752, and yes, he wore a kilt.
- Recently adopted a rescue pup named Islay (Eye-La). She’s half French bulldog and a mix of 9 different breeds ranging from Jindo and Akita to Tibetan Mastiff and Chihuahua.
- Has drunk hundreds of different beers… and will drink hundreds more. He knows this because he tracks them in a beer journal.
- In his words, “Despite having a body far from comparable to Michael Phelps”, he was once a competitive swimmer specializing in the butterfly.
- His day job is in finance.
- Red Pandas are his spirit animal and Carson the Red Panda is affectionately referred to as “His son” at home after symbolically adopting him from the Woodland Park Zoo.
- Is a full-on music nerd and KEXP supporter. You can see him and his wife’s names on the donor wall outside the station in Seattle Center.
- He can frequently be seen walking around the neighborhood with his wife Anna and Islay, so feel free to say hello and let him know what you’d like to see more of on the PhinneyWood blog!