Volunteer : Adopt-a-Grand
The PNA is thrilled to launch a new community-building program inspired by memories with our Grandparents, and looking ahead toward creating memories with our Grandchildren – Adopt-a-Grand!
Participating families are paired with a local senior through the PNA Village, and commit to meet once a month for at least a year. The program is designed to be very flexible, with Grand-Dates lasting anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours, accommodating as many children as the Grands are willing, and allowing for age-appropriate activities. The PNA provides a list of chores and activities as inspiration, and will occasionally send out other seasonal suggestions.
- One visit per month, for at least one year.
- Depending on agreed-upon activity and age of the child(ren), each visit can last between 30 minutes and a few hours.
- Families must have at least one adult (18+) submit a volunteer application, background check (complete form at training) and attend a training (list of upcoming dates below) to become vetted.
- Other adults and children may accompany the vetted adult, as allowed by the adopted Grand and activity.
- Elders looking to adopt a family should contact the Village office to learn about joining the Village.
Ideas for your Grand-Dates
Activities and scheduling are to be discussed and agreed upon by all participants.
Change smoke detector batteries & clocks.
Sweep or vacuum one room.
Take a small load to donate.
Clean out the fridge.
Decorate for the holidays.
Undecorate for the holidays.
Plant flowers, vegetables or herbs.
Deliver cookies or other treats.
Deliver a homemade card or drawing.
Read a book together.
Sing a song together.
Share stories of childhood.
Take walks together.
Sharing holiday traditions.
Playing a game together.
Upcoming Training Dates
Trainings are 10 am to noon at the Greenwood Senior Center, 525 N 85th St, Seattle 98103. You pick the one that works for you, and reserve your spot via [email protected].
- Tuesday, February 25, 2020
- Saturday, March 21, 2020
- Wednesday, April 22, 2020
- Saturday, May 16, 2020
- Thursday, June 18, 2020
- Tuesday, July 28, 2020
- Saturday, Sept 26, 2020
- Thursday, Oct 15, 2020
- Saturday, Nov 14, 2020
- Thursday, Dec 10, 2020
How to get started:
- Complete our online volunteer application or PDF volunteer application. Please indicate which training date(s) you prefer to attend.
- Return it to the PNA, noting “Adopt-a-Grand”
Mail/Drop-off: 525 N 85th St, Seattle WA 98103
Email: [email protected]
- Attend a volunteer training, which includes a background check and confidentiality agreement.
- Meet your Grand!
Questions? Contact us!
- Village Office: 525 N 85th St, Seattle WA 98103
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 206.789.1217