As our name suggests, we are a cooperative preschool located in the Ballard neighborhood of Northwest Seattle. We offer part-time preschool classes for young learners ages 0-5.
What’s a Cooperative Preschool?
As a cooperative (or “co-op”) preschool, each classroom is led by a teacher and supported by a parent educator, with parents or caregivers serving as co-teachers. This structure provides a high adult-to-child ratio, allowing for increased one-on-one engagement.
The co-op model creates not only a rich learning environment for children but also supports families in their parenting journey. Children receive the benefit of cooperative classroom education, led by a staff of experienced early education teachers. Parents benefit from the instruction and guidance of parent educators, as well as an active community of families with young children.
As a program of the Phinney Neighborhood Association, BPC is a community resource for families in Ballard and the surrounding neighborhoods. The program is almost entirely volunteer run, making it an affordable neighborhood preschool.
Ballard Preschool Co-op is a vibrant, community-based cooperative preschool that fosters the social, emotional, physical, and mental development of young children through play-based, structured learning. Our nurturing and connected community supports not just our students, but their parents and caregivers as well as they learn and grow side by side.
- Create a safe, supportive, fun, and stimulating environment that encourages the social, emotional, physical, and mental development of young children through creative classroom and outdoor play.
- Nurture each child’s sense of accomplishment and personal growth.
- Encourage families to share their unique talents, interests, and experiences in ways that enhance their child’s class, as well as the larger preschool community.
- Provide opportunities for parents and caregivers to participate in their child’s first educational experience, working closely with teachers, parent educators, and each other to learn about child development and behavior, as well as parenting.
- Foster a sense of community, support, and belonging for all those involved in the preschool.
What’s new at the Ballard Preschool Co-op?
We hope everyone had a happy and healthy holiday season! We are so excited to welcome you back to class, and start off the new year together!
Our next Open House for prospective families is scheduled for Saturday, January 8th from 9:30-11:30am. Come meet our teachers, tour our school, and learn more about our cooperative preschool program. Proof of vaccination required. Our school is located at 7503 18th Ave NW.
Continued COVID-19 Precautions:
In accordance with our vaccination requirement, we are requiring all working caregivers to keep up-to-date with booster doses per CDC recommendations .
Also, as we continue to require masks on school grounds for all students 2+, caregivers, and teachers, we recommend that KN95/KF94 masks be worn per because they provide better filtration and a tighter seal to the face, helping to better protect from aerosol droplets than cloth or surgical masks. See Basecamp for guidelines and purchasing resources.