Please note: This calendar shows activities organized or sponsored by the PNA or the Greenwood Senior Center. It does not include activities organized by other community members, groups, or businesses renting space at the centers.
Holi Festival of Colors 2020
Saturday, March 28, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pmFree – $12
Celebrate this traditional Indian festival with entertainment, food, and a fun color fight!
Holi – “the festival of color” or “the festival of love” – celebrates spring, connection, and the triumph of good over evil.
Come join in this raucous celebration, where people will chase each other around, throwing handfuls of colored powders.
Folks from all religions, cultures, backgrounds, and ages are welcome!
Food will be provided by The Roll Pod and chai by The Chai Lady. Details on entertainment and activities to come!
This event originated in 2018 with a neighbor who wanted to share her culture with the community. Read the story about it…
- Tickets are $10 in advance; $12 day of the event. Kids 5 and under are free. (The fee supports the cost of putting on the festival)
- A pay-what-you-can option is available
- With each ticket, you get two color packets, with the opportunity to buy more on-site. (Cash appreciated!)
Phinney Center lower parking lot, 6532 Phinney Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103 [Directions]
- Dress – Wear something comfortable and bring layers for cold. Wear something that you are willing to ruin. Colors are messy and may stain. If you want an event souvenir, wear a white t-shirt and later soak it in vinegar to preserve/fix the color.
- Additional color packets will be available for purchase for $1 per packet. Cash appreciated!
- Food – will be available for purchase through food trucks. Bring cash.
- Restrooms – People can use the bathrooms in the brick building but we will place plastic to keep building clean.
- Parking – Limited on-site free parking is available. Carpool is recommended, as the overflow parking lot is where we will be celebrating, and food trucks will take up some of the lower lot.
- Outside items – Please do not bring outside color, paint ball guns, water guns, and water balloons. Pets are not recommended. No alcohol is allowed at this family friendly event.
- Clean up – Colors are cornstarch-based and safe natural colors. They can be dusted off. No water will be available at the event for wash up, but soap and water at home can finish your clean up. We recommend applying a moisturizer to skin, coating your hair with a small amount of coconut or olive oil before the event and wearing sunglasses. Bring a garbage bag or towel to protect your car on the way home.
The PNA (Phinney Neighborhood Association) is a nonprofit organization serving Northwest Seattle with programs, events and classes for seniors, kids, and the whole community. Our mission is to to build, engage and support our diverse community through programs, services and activities that connect neighbors and foster civic engagement. Learn more about us.
Scenes from the inaugural 2018 event; video thanks to Martin Campbell and Robert Callero.