Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
The PNA is working hard to become a truly anti-racist, equitable, and inclusive organization at its very roots. We created this page to keep the community updated on our activities and efforts to identify, develop, oversee, evaluate, and improve strategies to address structural inequity, unconscious bias, and systemic oppression in the policies, procedures, practices, and culture of the PNA.
We will continue to regularly share our progress and other steps we are taking in this journey, as well as relevant documents and communications.
We welcome and need your feedback and involvement if this work is going to be successful. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected].
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) committee meets every other week, with an online workspace for collaboration and discussion between meetings
- Drafted a committee charter (Download)
- Board of Directors formalized permanent EDI committee at 7/21 Board meeting (Board Resolution)
- In process of interviewing expert consultants in equity, diversity, and inclusion work
- Retired neighborhood holiday monkey lights project to eliminate harmful historical symbolism, referring to Black people as monkeys
- Removed secondary small water fountain in the Phinney Center that may present as a symbol of race segregation
- Held a listening session with former executive director, Dar’Nesha Weary, to better understand her experiences at PNA and gain her insights
- Board of Directors started racial literacy/anti-racism study, with white members joining Breaking White Silence groups
- The organization had an independent review of our employee manual with recommendations and will be updating the manual this fall
- Finalizing demographics survey for staff and board
August 18, 2020 – The PNA Board of Directors seeks candidates
July 29, 2020 – A message from the Board President, Amanda Froh
July 27, 2020 – Anti-racism work update: Eliminating racist symbolism
July 7, 2020 – Formalizing our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
June 29, 2020 – Anti-racism steps: an update to the community
June 23, 2020 – A message from Interim Executive Director, Lee Harper
June 1, 2020 – Solidarity, support, and a commitment to act
May 12, 2020 – An update from the Board of Directors