Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
The PNA is working hard to become a truly anti-racist, equitable, and inclusive organization at its very roots. We created this page to keep the community updated on our activities and efforts to identify, develop, oversee, evaluate, and improve strategies to address structural inequity, unconscious bias, and systemic oppression in the policies, procedures, practices, and culture of the PNA.
We will continue to regularly share our progress and other steps we are taking in this journey, as well as relevant documents and communications.
We welcome and need your feedback and involvement if this work is going to be successful. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected].
- Began regular weekly Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) committee meetings
- Created an online EDI committee workspace for daily collaboration and discussion
- Began drafting a committee charter (to be posted when complete and approved by the Board of Directors)
- Board of Directors formalized permanent EDI committee at 7/21 Board meeting (Board Resolution)
- Removed secondary small water fountain in the Phinney Center that may present as a symbol of race segregation
- Began researching expert consultants in equity, diversity, and inclusion work
- An EDI committee member joined the PNA Business Advisory Group July meeting and EDI will be a continued part of that group’s programming and fundraising
- Retired neighborhood holiday monkey light project to eliminate harmful historical symbolism, referring to Black people as monkeys
- Held a listening session with former executive director, Dar’Nesha Weary, to better understand her experiences at PNA and gain her insights
July 29, 2020 – A message from the Board President, Amanda Froh
July 27, 2020 – Anti-racism work update: Eliminating racist symbolism
July 7, 2020 – Formalizing our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
June 29, 2020 – Anti-racism steps: an update to the community
June 23, 2020 – A message from Interim Executive Director, Lee Harper
June 1, 2020 – Solidarity, support, and a commitment to act
May 12, 2020 – An update from the Board of Directors