Need a drill for a day? A torque wrench for a weekend? Staple guns to star bits, we can help. You need the right tools to do any job well, but not everyone has exactly what they need. Our Tool Library has over a thousand tools to share with our neighbors. We also offer used tools for purchase and DIY advice.
(Please note that the PNA doesn’t use the “login” function in the upper right corner; the system is currently set up for browsing only.)
Tool Library hours:
Fridays: 3-5 pm
Saturdays: 9 am-1 pm
6615 Dayton Ave N. (The east side of the Brick Building). Parking is available in the Phinney Center Lower Lot (then go down the stairs on the south side of the Brick Building), and on Dayton Ave. Loading spots are available in the driveway next to the Tool Library.
No tool experience is required – we need customer service folks, too!
- Tool Library Assistant: Have strong customer service and computer skills and like meeting people? Help out during the Tool Library’s open hours: check membership status, check tools out and in, and collect rental fees. Some experience will tools helpful, but not required. Shifts are 2.5 hours each.
- Repair Specialist: Repair and maintain tools (on-site, but potentially without interacting with the public)
Questions? Email [email protected].
Show and tell!
We’d love to see and share what you’ve fixed, made, grew, or improved with the help of the PNA Tool Library! Upload your photo(s) and share your project adventures!Share now!
About the Tool Library
Our Tool Library is a community-based program that will continue to provide a valuable service for all with the help of your donations and volunteer hours. You will see that we have made a few changes to the library including rental times, rental fees, and a new rental agreement.
Items can be checked out for one week at a time for a nominal fee ($1 to $50 per tool per week), with the potential for renewal, depending on demand. Our inventory is mostly available for viewing online, and we are working to ensure it is up-to-date.
The Tool Library is also the home of the NW Seattle Branch of the King County Seed Lending Library, which can be accessed during the Tool Library’s open hours.
Here’s how it works:
- The PNA Tool Library is available for PNA members. Sign up/renew online now! Current membership is required for both reserving and renting an item; reservations are available for power washers, scaffolding, and cider press only. (Unsure if you’re a current PNA member? Call 206.783.2244 to ask, or we can check when you come in.)
- Read, sign, and return our updated Rental Agreement and Liability Waiver.
- No appointment is necessary to rent items, but you must be healthy, wear a clean mask, and sanitize your hands upon entry. We will be limiting the number of people in our cozy space.
- Items can be checked out for one week at a time for a nominal fee (usually $1 to $50 per tool per week), with the potential for renewal, depending on demand for specific items. (The rental amounts per tool are far below what you’d pay to rent commercially, are in line with the other tool libraries in Seattle, and help us keep the library up and running for our community.)
- Use your tool and return it clean and when it is due. Depending on the tool you can recheck it out, otherwise, you’ll incur a late fee.
Support the Tool Library
Your financial donations help us to purchase new items, repair parts, and replace broken equipment, as well as keep our Tool Library running!
Donate to the Tool Library Program
We will gladly accept quality tools in good condition and in working order! Thank you for understanding we may not accept all tools – our space is limited and we already have multiples of some tools.
To donate general tools, please bring them to the Tool Library during open hours only. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity or space to accept all tools, nor the resources to dispose of them, if necessary.
We are adding a “crafters” section to our tool offerings! To make this expansion possible, we’re seeking the following items:
- Screen Printing Tools and Kits
- Linoleum Block Printing Tools
- Leather Working Tools
- Film Developing Equipment (no chemicals)
- Black and White Photo Paper
You are welcome to drop off these items at the Phinney Center Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm.
Are you an experienced woodworker without a space or tools? Our Community Woodshop is getting off the ground, and we are now offering certification training and will soon be offering shop time.
The PNA Fixers
The PNA Fixers is an informal group of folks who meet simply for the fun of helping people by taking their broken stuff apart, putting it back together again, and maybe even fixing some things in the process.
The idea is just to take a moment before throwing something away to figure out if you can save it and prevent yourself from having to buy a replacement. It’s also an excellent way to learn how things work and just enjoy some good company.